The acai berry is one of the world's most interesting and unique foods. It may also be one of its healthiest. Chock-full of antioxidants, amino acids, AND essential fatty acids, the tiny little acai berry packs a nutritional wallop rarely seen in the natural world. In fact, some experts consider it to be the world's most "complete" natural food.
Acai berries come from the acai (pronounced ah-SIGH-ee) palm tree of South America. The native peoples of Brazil have eaten the berry for centuries and there are, in fact, many local legends about acai's incredible healing and sustaining powers. It remains a popular "health and energy" food in that country today. Fortunately for North Americans and Europeans, in the last few years acai berry products have made their way to foreign shores. Now just about anyone can (and should) try this incredibly healthy food for themselves.
To give you an idea of just how powerful this fruit really is, consider the nutritional profile of acai berry pulp:
- 10-30 times the anthocyanins (strong antioxidants) of red wine
- an almost perfect essential amino acid complex (the "building blocks" of protein)
- 60% Oleic acid, an omega-9 monounsaturated essential fatty acid
- 12% Linoleic acid, an omega-6 polyunsaturated essential fatty acid
- a full array of vitamins, minerals, and trace elements
- large amounts of plant sterols (phytochemicals with numerous health benefits)
- significant amounts of natural dietary fiber
- natural calcium!
As you can see, there aren't many things that the acai berry doesn't have! But the good news doesn't end there. Acai has a vibrant taste that most people find very, very pleasing. Though difficult to describe, some people compare the flavor of acai to tart, chocolate-covered cherries or blueberry ice cream with a hint of chocolate. Not bad for something so healthy!
A few of the more common benefits reported by people who consume acai berries on a regular basis include:
- Greater energy and vitality
- Increased stamina
- Improved circulation
- Improved digestion
- Better sleep
- Improved sexual function
- Healthier, better-looking skin
- Increased sense of overall "well-being"
By now you're probably aching to try this super-fruit for yourself. Fortunately it's becoming more and more widely available throughout the United States, Europe, and Australia. Look for acai smoothies and acai berry juices at your local health foods shops. There are also several health supplements on the market which contain dried acai berry powder... but it would be a shame to miss out on the delicious and unique taste of this amazing berry!
Source: Free Articles
About the Author